Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Voice Season 3: The First Week of Blind Auditions was "A Can't Miss"

Week one of the blind auditions on Season 3 of The Voice was nothing short of impressive. Overall, the male singers were stronger than the female singers, but I am keeping in mind that there are more blind audition shows left. When I started playing along creating my own team, it was difficult for me to pick a strong female vocalist out.

Up first was Scottish Rocker Terry McDermott who sang Baba O'Riley by The Who. This guy has a clear rock voice, and I think he's going to do well.
Who did he choose? Blake
Would I choose him for my team? Absolutely, he may not look the part, but he sure sounds it.

De'borah grew up in the church, but slowly became an outcast after she changed her look. She sang Hey Soul Sister by Train. You can certainly hear the gospel influence in her voice, and I appreciate her being herself.
Who did she choose? Christina
Would I choose her for my team? She's different, but different is good, and her voice is strong. In a word, yes!

Gracia Harrison sang I Want to be a Cowboy's Sweetheart by Patsy Montana and got the attention of the three men on the panel. I love the fact that she just went out there and sang and yodeled; it's not something that many people can do, so it sets her apart.
Who did she choose? Blake
Would I choose her for my team? I'm pretty sure I would. She gives us something that's missing in country music.

When you come out and sing a song from one of the artists who is potentially going to mentor you, you'd better have the goods. Devyn Deloera came out singing Christina's Ain't No Other Man, and her voice was somewhat weak.
Who did she choose? Christina
Would I choose her for my team? Afraid not at this point. I'd like to hear her again so I could judge it better.

Bryan Keith received the first four chair turnaround of the season when he sang It Will Main by Bruno Mars. The soulful singer said his dad Latin jazz singer Ray de la Pazz is his inspiration and influence when he sings. This is one of the people who could ultimately win this thing.
Who did he choose? Adam
Would I choose him for my team? Need we even ask? Bryan Keith definitely sounds like a superstar name to me.

Daniel Rosa auditioned last season, but was not chosen; before leaving the stage, he asked the judges what he could do to improve and he went home and did just that. Rosa came back better than ever, singing Somebody That I Used to Know by Goethe. I really loved his rendition of the song.
Who did he choose? CeeLo
Would I choose him for my team? There's a good chance I would, he shows dedication and that he is serious about singing. He takes direction well.

Texas rocker Joe Kirkland sang Gives You Hell by The All American Rejects. Although I liked this performance, there was nothing about it that blew me away.
Who did he choose? Adam
Would I choose him for my team? No, there was something about the performance that didn't impress me.

18 year old Trevin Hunte was robbed of a four chair turnaround, what's wrong with you Adam? Hunte sang Listen from the movie Dreamgirls, and this entire performance was just a dream from beginning to end. Hunte said that his eighth grade teacher told him he would never make anything of himself; I guess I want to know where she is now, and I hope she saw that performance.
Who did he choose? CeeLo
Would I choose him for my team? A team without him wouldn't be a team at all. Trevin has the natural ability that those who want to sing wish that they had.

Adriana Louise was the first female singer to impress me this season, and she got the four chair turnaround, so that means something. She sang a spirited version of Domino by Jessie J.; what I loved about this was that the vocal was so strong yet controlled.
Who did she choose? Christina
Would I choose her for my team? Absolutely, Adriana is special without question.

Country singer Casey Muessigmann (sounds like musicman) did his best at Sweet Home Alabama. I like Casey's personality, but the vocals are pretty mediocre.
Who did he choose? Blake
Would I choose him for my team? The vocal just wasn't strong enough. I look forward to hearing him again though because he does have potential.

I enjoyed the smooth voice of Aquile who sang Your Song by Elton John. I don't really think this was the best song choice for Aquile's voice but I was able to see through the song and see his talent for what it really was. I think he needs to make more contemporary song choices going forward.
Who did he choose? Christina
Would I choose him for my team? Yes, there's never anything wrong with a smooth voice that has control.

When I first heard Mackenzie Bourg's voice, I knew he was special. I love the inflections in his voice, the way he puts emphasis on certain words. He has soul and his voice is so unique. Pumped Up Kicks by Foster the People showed all of that so perfectly.
Who did he choose? CeeLo
Would I choose him for my team? I love Mackenzie, so I would absolutely need him on my team for the all reasons I stated above.

Julio Castillo did something on The Voice that no other contestant has ever done; he sang completely in Spanish, and wow was it the right song. In his rendition of La Bamba, his voice sounded like Richie Valens at times. This guy has definite talent, and I think he will work hard.  
Who did he choose? Blake
Would I choose him for my team? I would choose Julio because his voice is strong; I am interested to hear how he will sound in English. He also sounded amazing when he sang that Mariachi song El Rey in Spanish.

It's not every day that you find a singer who has a deep understanding for music. Samuel Mouton has that, and it was made all the more obvious when he sang Redemption Song by Bob Marley. His voice is authentic, and I was most surprised that Christina did not turn around and make this a four chair turnaround.
Who did he choose? Adam
Would I choose him for my team? I would because he's a singer's singer, and this kid is the real deal.

The first duo chosen on this season was 2 Steel Girls, a mother and daughter duo. They were good, they sang Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood, but I am still not completely convinced.
Who did they choose? Blake
Would I choose them for my team? I'd pass on these ladies, but I do want to see what they can do.

Nelly's Echo is a refugee from Nigeria, so he has a story, and that story is in his voice every time he sings. He sang Ain't no Sunshine, and I loved the way he made it his own, and added his own flavor to the song.
Who did he choose? Christina
Would I choose him for my team? I loved his voice, I loved the person, I would choose Nelly's Echo for my team

D to the O to the M to the O ........ Domo was a trip! The song she chose, Don't Cha by the Pussycat Dolls, definitely matched her big personality. She danced around a lot and her voice was good, but it wasn't great.
Who did she choose? CeeLo
Would I choose her for my team? No, Domo is more of a performer than a singer, and in some cases, this is good, if the voice is strong enough, but in this case, it's not.

For the first time this season, the judge's were really impressed with a vocal that I wasn't all that impressed with. Nicole Nelson sang Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley, and I feel like whenever anyone tackles this lyrically special song, they get a pass, and it shouldn't be so. I would like to hear her sing something else, and if she sings it well, I will be impressed.
Who did she choose? Adam
Would I choose her for my team? At the moment, no, but that could change.

The last three contestants were shown rather quickly so I can write about what they sang and who they chose. From the small clip I heard, I would choose one of them, but that could change when I see all three of them sing through a complete performance going forward. 

Loren Allred sang When Love Takes Over by Kelly Rowland and David Guetta
Who did she choose? Adam
Would I choose her for my team? This is the one of the three that I would choose

Lisa Seinta sang Teenage Dream by Katy Perry
Who did she choose? Christina
Would I choose her for my team? Not now, but would consider it later

Marissa Ann sang Part of Me by Katy Perry
Who did she choose? Christina
Would I choose her for my team? Not now, but would consider it later



 




No comments: