Friday, January 1, 2010

My Favorite Songs from 2009: Part 1

When I began putting this list together for the second time; I knew that I was in trouble. Music had a great year, and there were a number of artists we can attribute it to; they appear multiple times on this list. I read the list over to a friend, and he said, "Wow, that's a good list; I really like all those songs". I cannot wait to see some of these people on tour, or hear their next single, or listen to their new album. Some of the songs on this list are currently still climbing the charts, some missed the Grammy cut off and will no doubt be considered for awards next year. I urge all of you to take a listen to these songs, watch the videos, and be inspired as I so was. I have even thought about putting together a CD with all these songs on there, but maybe I am getting ahead of myself; let me blog about it all first.


*“21 Guns”, Green Day from the album 21st Century Breakdown-- Nominated for Grammy’s in early 2010 for Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals and Best Rock Song, “21 Guns” is arguably the group’s biggest hit since “Boulevard of Broken Dreams”. The song appears on the soundtrack for the movie “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen” movie. On an album that Rolling Stone called “the most personal, emotionally convulsive record Armstrong has ever written,” 21 Guns is an exclamation point.

My Fave Line from the Song: When you're at the end of the road/ And you lost all sense of control/ And your thoughts have taken their toll/ When your mind breaks the spirit of your soul/ Your faith walks on broken glass/ And the hangover doesn't pass/ Nothing's ever built to last/ You're in ruins

Chart Positions:
U.S. Billboard Alternative Songs: 3
U.S. Billboard Hot Adult Top 40 Tracks: 10
U.S. Billboard Rock Songs: 5

Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r00ikilDxW4


*“Already Gone”, Kelly Clarkson from the album All I’ve Ever Wanted-- This song was proof positive that Clarkson is back as one of pop music’s leading ladies. The song, co written by Clarkson and Ryan Tedder of OneRepublic, also caused some controversy when Clarkson claimed that Tedder used the same musical arrangement on the song “Halo” recorded by Beyonce Knowles. Tedder denied the accusations and said, "'Already Gone' is one of the best songs I've written or produced since 'Bleeding Love' and stands tall on it's own merits apart from 'Halo.' They are two entirely different songs conceptually, melodically, [and] lyrically and I would never try to dupe an artist such as Kelly Clarkson or BeyoncĂ© into recording over the same musical track, the idea is both hurtful [and] absurd. I think when people hear 'Already Gone' they will hear what I hear—one of the greatest female vocalists on earth giving her most haunting and heart-breaking performance on a song she helped write. I challenge people to listen and form their own opinions."
Despite this, Clarkson promoted the song starting in July 2009 and reworked the arrangement to make it sound different.

My Fave Line from the Song: Looking at you makes it harder/ But I know that you'll find another/ That doesn't always make you wanna cry/ Started with a perfect kiss/ Then we could feel the poison set in/Perfect couldn't keep this love alive

Chart Positions:
U.S. Billboard Hot 100: 13

Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0T3WAbU6tg


*“Bad Romance”, Lady Gaga from the album The Fame Monster-- Half the time, I have no idea what the song is about and what she is saying and don’t get me started on the video because it’s just plain weird. However, I think Lady Gaga’s eccentricity is what so many people love about her, and she has had the year of her life in 2009 and 2010 only stands to be better. “Bad Romance”, says Gaga, was a song she wrote while on tour that was about the various “monsters” (paranoias) she faced during that time; one was the “love monster” which explains the inspiration for “Bad Romance”. She performed the single on Saturday Night Live and Gossip Girl, and “it dancers” Nathan and Mollee danced to it this past season on So You Think You Can Dance. On the November 2, 2009 episode of It's On with Alexa Chung, Gaga pointed out that she was listing Alfred Hitchcock films in the verse, "I want your psycho, your vertigo shtick/ Want you in my rear window, baby you're sick." She stated, "What I'm really trying to say is I want the deepest, darkest, sickest parts of you that you are afraid to share with anyone because I love you that much." Now that’s deep!

My Fave Line from the Song: I want your loving/ And I want your revenge/ You and me could write a bad romance

Chart Positions:
U.S. Billboard Hot 100: 2

Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkFwYuuHIYI


*“Battlefield”, Jordin Sparks from the album Battlefield-- The single was first performed on American Idol which launched the career of the young pop star and developed into a top 10 hit. Sparks explains what drew her to the song, “The melody starts off very soft and then it gets massive and kinda angsty”; it also helps that the song was written by the Runaways (Louis John Biancaniello, Sam Watters, Wayne Wilkins) and Ryan Tedder, The video shows a mature side of Sparks that I look forward to seeing in the future.

My Fave Line from the Song: Why does love always feel like a battlefield, a battlefield, a battlefield? Guess you better go and get your armor!

Chart Positions:
U.S. Billboard Hot 100: 10
U.S. Billboard Pop Songs: 6

Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suPlYwJ3YvM


*“Best I Ever Had”, Drake from the album So Far Gone-- With a slew of honors and awards, “Best I Ever Had” was probably the top rap solo single of the year. It was named Hot Rap Song of the year for 2009 by Billboard. It is nominated for two Grammy Awards, Best Rap Solo Performance and Best Rap Song; it has a good chance of winning both. The song is supposedly about Drake’s girlfriend Camille; I think there are a lot of women out there wishing they were Camille.

My Fave Line from the Song: Baby, you my everything, you all I ever wanted/ We can do it real big, bigger than you ever done it/ You be up on everything, other hoes ain't never on it/ I want this forever, I swear I can spend whatever on it

Chart Positions:
U.S. Billboard Hot 100: 2
U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/ Hip-Hop Songs: 1
U.S. Billboard Hot Rap Tracks: 1

Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f70uR_S0Jg


*“The Climb”, Miley Cyrus from the film Hannah Montana The Movie-- The song was not even originally written for her movie but “The Climb” turned Cyrus into a country music star. Critical reception to this song was surprisingly positive; it was called “one of the year’s strongest ballads” and a “liberation anthem”. I will admit the music video is a little bit cheesy , but I can forgive it since Cyrus sings the song with so much conviction. Cyrus used the song as the closing number on her Wonder World Tour and it is fitting because “The Climb” is about life as a journey and she is just beginning the climb of her life.

My Fave Line from the Song: Keep on moving/ Keep climbing/ Keep the faith baby/ It’s all about/ It’s all about/ The climb/ Keep the faith/ Keep your faith

Chart Positions:
U.S. Billboard Hot 100: 4
U.S. Billboard Hot Christian Songs: 42
U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs: 25
U.S. Hot Adult 40 Tracks: 5
U.S. Billboard Pop 100: 7

Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG2zyeVRcbs&feature=related


*“Cowboy Casanova”, Carrie Underwood from the album Play On-- co-written by Underwood the song is not about trashing a guy but rather warning women about him. The song is the fastest climbing on the charts of Underwood’s career thus far. The fact that I found the most surprising was that Carrie has the most top 10 hits on the country charts of any country solo woman of this decade with 10 hits. So truly these past few years have belonged to her. Not to mention, the video for this song is super fun and the chorus is catchy.

My Fave Line from the Song: He’s a good time cowboy casanova/ Leanin up against the record machine/ He looks like a cool drink of water/ But he’s candy-coated misery/ He’s the devil in disguise, a snake with blue eyes/ And he only comes out at night/ gives you feelings that you don’t wanna fight/ You better run for your life.

Chart Positions:
U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs: 1
U.S. Billboard Hot 100: 11
U.S. Billboard Hot Adult Pop Songs: 27

Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu32vyCldh8


*“Day N’ Nite”, Kid Cudi from the album Man on the Moon: The End of Day-- This is the single that made Kid Cudi a household name in 2009, especially in the genre of contemporary rap music. Despite the fact that the single was leaked in December of 2007, the song is being considered in categories at the 2010 Grammy’s. Like “Best I Ever Had”, it is up for Best Rap Solo Performance and Best Rap Song. Cudi has worked with Kanye West, Common, and Lady Gaga, and you can really hear their influence in his unique sounding rap music that critics says has relaxing beats.

My Fave Line from the Song: The lonely nites, they fade away he slips into his white Nikes./ he smokes a clip and then he’s on the way,/ To free his mind in search of…/ To free his mind in search of…/ To free his mind in search of…/ Day n nite.

Chart Positions:
U.S. Billboard Hot 100: 3
U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/ Hip-Hop Songs: 5
U.S. Billboard Pop 100: 9

Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrDfSZ_6f4U


*“Diva”, Beyonce from the album I Am …. Sasha Fierce-- One of her many hits this year, B. agreed that “Diva” is the female version of “A Milli”. I especially dig the music video for this song, B. donning dangle shades, and then she’s dancing in her famous leotard.

My Fave Line from the Song: I done got so sick and filthy with Benji's, I can't spend/ How you gone be talkin' shit?/ You act like I just got up in it/ Been the number one diva in this game for a minute

Chart Positions:
U.S. Billboard Hot 100: 19
U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/ Hip-Hop Songs: 3
U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play: 1

Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNM5HW13_O8


*“Doesn’t Mean Anything”, Alicia Keys from the album The Element of Freedom-- Buried within her fourth full length album, “Doesn’t Mean Anything” should have garnered more attention than it did. The premise of the song is set to piano and heavy drum beats with a catchy hook; I will be amazed if next year’s Grammy’s don’t earn Keys numerous nominations resulting in awards. The video opens to Keys standing on the balcony of a NewYork City high rise; she looks out and speaks about the city seeming empty, “all the people in the world and you can still feel lonely.” “What’s the point of having it all without the person you love, sometimes you just need to start again in order to fly”. This journey is one I think millions would be willing to take with Keys; I know I would.

My Fave Line from the Song: I know I pushed you away/ What can I do that would save our love/ Take these material things/ They don’t mean nothing/ It’s you that I want/ All at once…/ I had it all/ But it doesn’t mean anything/ Now that you’re gone

Chart Positions:
U.S. Billboard Hot 100: 60
U.S. Billboard Hot R&B Hip-Hop Songs: 14

Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLclkP9x_68
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: