Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Dueling Davids Go Three Rounds on Idol Finale

Round 1: Clive Davis' Choice---

01 David Cook (D.C.) sang "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" made famous by U2. David sang the hell out of that song; first off, I love it and second is that it is such a tough song to sing. He made it sound not only easy, but amazing. Simon called the performance "phenomenal".

02 David Archuleta (D.A.) sang "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me" made famous by Elton John and George Michael. I liked the changes that he made to the song, and I thought his vocals were on point. Simon called it arguably his "best performance of the season".

Round 1: Cook

Round 2: New Song Contestant Choice---

01 D.C. sang "Dream Big". The song was not great but I think he did the best he could with the song that he chose. Simon said it was supposed to be a winning moment but it didn't feel like one.

02 D.A. sang "In This Moment". I disagree with Simon saying that Round 2 went to Archuleta. I did not think that either contestant did a better job than the other.

Round 2: Too Close To Call
Round 3: Contestant's Song Choice---
01 D.C. sang "The World I Know" made famous by Collective Soul.
Here are some words from Paula: "You're standing in your truth .... and you deliver songs with integrity and originality". Simon called David, "one of the nicest and most sincere contestants we've ever had". For me, David is such an honest performer, and he has been on my list since day one. I treasure every performance from "Hello" to "Billie Jean" to "Eleanor Rigby" to "Innocent". He is amazing and so deserving of being in this moment right now.

02 D.A. sang "Imagine" made famous by John Lennon. I feel like this was one of David's best performances from the season. That being said, did he have to sing a song that he sang in the past that we, as viewers, can recall for ourselves in his repetoire? Simon's comment about this finale being a knockout could not have been more wrong.

David Cook should have been coming out for an encore and to grab his trophy.

Round 3: Cook by a hair
n.b. Photos are from www.tvguide.com

No comments: