Monday, April 12, 2021

American Idol: Who Made the Top 9?

 So American Idol was on Sunday night and the Top 12 turned into the Top 9. America got it right. At the end of the night when it was time to send three people home-- I felt like the right people stayed. The contestants performed Oscar nominated songs. I am not going to go through every performance in depth but I will give you the highlights and the lowlights. 

I love Grace, I'm such a huge fan, but Happy was an unexpected and incorrect song choice for her. She never gives a bad performance but I understood the judges feedback. They know her capabilities. 

Ava August sang City of Stars, Ava was poised to go far in this competition but her song choice was either far too mature or lacked youth. As a result she was sent home. 

Caleb Kennedy, at just 16, was so charming singing On the Road Again. The best thing about him is that he knows who he is as an artist and he stays in his lane. He will potentially go far in this competition. 

Hunter Metts sang Falling Slowly which is one of my favorite movie songs. This is quite honestly the perfect song for him so kudos to Hunter for choosing the right song. This was so well done. Hunter is broken up because he got caught up in his emotions and forgot some lyrics at the end. I didn't even notice cause he was so good. 

Madison Watkins was one of the judges wild cards last week. Madison can definitely sing and this Whitney song (Run to You) was no exception. However, the song felt very old fashioned, and the performance was pagenty. At the end of the night, Madison was sent home. 

Chayce Beckham literally does no wrong in my book and singing Everything I Do (I Do it for You) was no exception. Lionel thought he stepped it up in the second half of the song and Luke said he is the front runner in this competition. Agree, agree!

Beane sang I've Had the Time of my Life and I thought this was a trainwreck. I understand that Beane is a little off beat, musical, and creative, but I didn't like this. I thought the arrangement was a mess, and he does not have the best vocal. He too was sent home at the end of the night and rightfully so, easy choice. 

I think This is Me is overdone in singing competitions but Alyssa Wray's vocal was beautiful and understated. She is definitely someone who could fly under the radar in this. Lionel thought her performance was subtle and that she did a great job holding her best vocals til the end of the performance. 

Deshawn Goncalves sang The Way We Were and yes it was definitely a little old fashioned and a classic song choice but I loved it. I thought it was powerful. Luke called the performance classy and beautiful. 

Casey Bishop had one of the most powerful performances of the night singing Over the Rainbow. She did a different take that we saw Katharine McPhee do all those years ago but her spin on the song was genuine and classic. Katy called her the frontrunner. 

Cassandra Coleman had a newer song choice; she sang The Writing's on the Wall. I felt like this was the perfect type of song for her voice. She poured her passion into this, it was not her best performance but it was passionate. Luke said she was amazing. 

Willie Spence had the coveted final spot and or good reason. He took us all to church with his performance of Stand Up. Cynthia Erivo even sent a personalized message to Willie. Lionel said it was a religious experience and Katy said I am with you. Luke now is calling Willie the frontrunner. Make up your mind Luke. 

Again, Ava, Madison, and Beane are all eliminated. 




No comments: