Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Top Songs of 2010: Part 1

Airplanes-- B.o.B. featuring Hayley Williams of Paramore: Hayley first heard the song while out on tour and recorded her part. She and B.o.B. never actually met until they sang "Airplanes" together at the MTV Video Music Awards for the first time. B.o.B. was a major Hayley fan but never expected to work with her so soon. Looks like these two have great respect for one another.
My fave line: "Can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?"
Charts:
U.S. Billboard Hot 100: #2
U.S. Rap Songs: #2
U.S. Mainstream Top 40 (Pop Songs): #2

Born Free-- Kid Rock: Allmusic praised Born Free, saying it "goes a long, long way toward keeping that heartland flame burning bright: it’s familiar yet fresh, and song for song it’s the best album Kid Rock has cut since Devil Without a Cause." The song itself has an earthy blues and rock feel, it's hard not to hit the replay button after hearing it.
My fave line: Fast, on a rough road riding
High, through the mountains climbing
Twisting, turning further from my home.
Young, like a new moon rising
Fierce, through the rain and lightning
Wandering out into this great unknown.
Charts: US Mainstream Rock Songs (Billboard): #14

California Gurls-- Katy Perry featuring Snoop Dogg: California Gurls was the last song Perry added to her "Teenage Dream" album but the first single released off it. According to Perry's interview with Rolling Stone, the song is an answer to "Empire State of Mind" that dominated the charts in 2009. This certainly is not her only hit for 2010, but it is the song that kicked off an epic year for her.
My fave live: California gurls, we're unforgettable
Daisy dukes, bikinis on top
Sun-kissed skin, so hot, we'll melt your popsicle
Charts:
US Billboard Hot 100: #1
US Adult Pop Songs (Billboard): #1
US Hot Dance Club Songs (Billboard): #1
US Pop Songs (Billboard): #1

Deuces-- Chris Brown: Chris Brown is back! Deuces received mostly positive reviews from critics who echoed the same sentiment about the pop star making a return with an exclamation point. It also had the music world wondering, is this song about Rihanna? The song is nominated for Best Rap/ Sung Collaboration at the Grammy's.
My fave line: You’ll regret the day when I find another girl, yeah
Who knows just what I need, she knows just what I mean
When I tell her keep it drama free
Charts:
US Billboard Hot 100: #14
US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs: #1

Fancy-- Drake featuring T.I., Swizz Beatz, and Mary J. Blige: Rumor has it that Fancy was never intended to be released as a single but Fancy not only scored on the charts but it scored a Grammy nomination for Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group. Drake also admits that the song was originally supposed to belong to Swizzy and then to Mary J Blige, but ultimately wound up on his debut album, "Thank Me Later".
My fave line: And Jason had this girl Tammy with a purple Bentley
How she got it I aint never get to ask
I just knew that she was fine like a ticket on the dash
Charts:
US Billboard Hot 100: #25
US Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs: #4
US Billboard Rap Songs: #1

Forget You-- Cee Lo Green: co written by two new mega stars Cee Lo Green (you know him from Gnarls Barkley) and Bruno Mars (along with Phillip Lawrence, Ari Levine, and Brody Brown) is a throw back to the 60s. Forget You has a Motown Records sound stamped all over and throughout it. Glee enlisted Gwyneth Paltrow to cover the song on her guest appearance and the song quickly climbed the charts. The song has numerous Grammy Nominations including Record of the Year and Song of the Year.
My fave line: I guess the change in my pocket
Wasn’t enough I’m like,
F*** you!
And f*** her too!
I said, if I was richer, I’d still be with ya
Charts:
US Billboard Hot 100: #9
US Pop Songs (Billboard): #18

Glitter in the Air-- Pink: It is hard to forget Pink's performance of this song at last years Grammy's. The performance was not only visually stunning but vocally impressive as well. Pink performed an acrobatic act high up in the air while not missing one note. Glenn Gamboa of Newsday commented, "Pink proved that you don’t have to be shocking or over-the-top to be the best or the most-talked-about. You just have to be amazing."
My fave line: It's only half past the point of oblivion
The hourglass on the table, the walk before the run
The breath before the kiss and the fear before the flames
Have you ever felt this way?
Charts:
U.S. Billboard Hot 100: #18
U.S. Billboard Adult Pop Songs: #8


How Low-- Ludacris: For a rapper that has been around the scene for over ten years, Ludacris sure enjoyed a breakout year in 2010. "How Low" and "My Chick Bad" were both featured on So You Think You Can Dance. How Low was nominated for Best Solo Rap Performance at the Grammy's. Despite the fact that the song was released in 2009, it charted in 2010. Bridges also shared some spotlight with Justin Bieber on Bieber's hit song "Baby".
My fave line: Mad cause I can’t get wit ya ya just show me how to dance
Charts:
U.S. Billboard Hot 100: #6
U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs: #2
U.S. Billboard Rap Songs: #1

I Like It-- Enrique Iglesias featuring Pitbull: Okay, okay, so it might be a little bit cheesy, but it was clearly one of the guilty pleasure songs of 2010. Iglesias proves that at 35 he is still young at heart, ready to party, and still capable of making a hit for the pop charts.
My fave line: Baby I like it.
Charts:
US Billboard Hot 100: #4
US Hot Dance Club Songs (Billboard): #1
US Latin Songs (Billboard): #2
US Latin Pop Songs (Billboard): #1

Imma Be-- The Black Eyed Peas: Imma Be was The Peas confident fourth single off The E.N.D.; many critics said it was the standout track. Although the single starts off slow, it quickly picks up the beat and if it does not put a smile across your face by the end then something is wrong.
My fave line: Imma be
Sippin on drinks cause
Imma be shakin my hips
You gon be lickin your lips
Imma be takin them pics
Lookin all fly and shit
Charts:
US Billboard Hot 100: #1
US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard): #12

Just The Way You Are-- Bruno Mars: Mars says that songs like Joe Cocker's You Are So Beautiful and Eric Clapton's The Way You Look Tonight inspired him to write the pure love song that he called Just The Way You Are. He says the song is not deep and poetic, he's just telling a love story, and let's be honest who would not want someone to bring these lyrics to life for them? The song is up for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance at The Grammys.
My fave line: And when you smile,
The whole world stops and stares for awhile
Cause girl you're amazing
Just the way you are
Charts:
US Adult Contemporary (Billboard): #2
US Adult Pop Songs (Billboard): #1
US Billboard Hot 100: #1
US Pop Songs (Billboard): #1

Need You Now-- Lady Antebellum: The first single off the trio's second album with the same title, Need You Now was one of the biggest hits of 2010 and crossed over from the country charts to the pop charts. It is up for six well deserved Grammy's, and chronicles the story of two separated lovers who long to reconnect through a phone call in the middle of the night. The emotional connection had fans wanting, actually no, needing more. Lady A (as their fans call them) went from small town tours to super stardom.
My fave line: Another shot of whiskey
Can't stop looking at the door
Wishing you'd come sweeping
In the way you did before
Charts:
US Billboard Hot 100: #2
US Country Songs (Billboard): #1
US Adult Contemporary (Billboard): #1
US Hot Dance Club Songs (Billboard): #15
US Pop Songs (Billboard): #2
US Adult Pop Songs (Billboard): #1

Not Afraid-- Eminem: The first single off his comeback album Recovery, Not Afraid shot straight to number one on the Billboard Hot 100 charts. It is only the second rap single to debut in the number one spot. Not Afraid came at the perfect time for Eminem, it showed his vulnerability and many saw a real committment on Eminen's part to the music. Not Afraid promotes a message that anyone can appreciate, and I appreciate that he leads the way at this year's Grammys with eight nominations.
My fave line: And I just can't keep living this way
So starting today, I'm breaking out of this cage
I'm standing up, I'ma face my demons
I'm manning up, I'ma hold my ground
I've had enough, now I'm so fed up
Time to put my life back together right now! (now)

and

Cause I'm raising the bar
I'd shoot for the moon but I'm too busy gazin at stars
I feel amazing
Charts:
UK Singles (The Official Charts Company): #5
US Billboard Hot 100: #1
US Rap Songs (Billboard): #8

Not Myself Tonight-- Christina Aguilera: In my opinion, the most underrated single of 2010. Reading over some of the critics reviews of the song gave me goose bumps; here are some of the phrases that describe the song: James Montgomery of MTV News said, "...the kind of track you'd expect to hear rattling the speakers at the massive, multi-level clubs of Europe". Bill Lamb from About.com gave the song a positive review: "Whomever might think that vocal prowess makes little difference in a mainstream pop song needs to listen once to Christina Aguilera's stellar new single "Not Myself Tonight." The electropop tune sounds like it could be a bit ordinary until the vocals really kick in about 45 seconds into the song. From that point on Christina Aguilera towers over much of the competition proving why she is frequently included in the shortest lists of today's top pop singers". Vibe magazine was impressed with the song: "With a writing assist by Ester Dean and Polow Da Don on the boards, Christina sounds as if she's managed to coalesce all her personalities into a comfortably edgy, grown-ass woman ready to slap up Ke$ha, Lady Gaga, and Katy Perry (she's "kissing all the boys and girls!") at the gay club. Frenetic with sparkling synths, blaring snares and glints of soul, Xtina's obviously found herself the right babysitter, because the f***-me pumps are out and ready for wearing". All I have to say is, wow.
My fave line: I'm not myself tonight
tonight I'm not the same girl same girl
Charts:
US Billboard Hot 100: #23
US Hot Dance Club Play: #1
US Pop Songs (Billboard): #14

Nothin on You-- B.o.B. featuring Bruno Mars: Nothin on You was the debut song for B.o.B. who said the song was written from experience but wouldn't elaborate on that. The song picked up three nods at this year's Grammys, including the much coveted Record of the Year.
My fave line: Beautiful girls, all over the world
I could be chasin but my time would be wasted
They got nothin on YOOOOOOOOOU, baby
Charts:
US Billboard Hot 100: #1
US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard): #5
US Pop Songs (Billboard): #1

No comments: