Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Best Songs of 2008, All My Favorites!

This is one in two parts: I couldn't pick a top ten songs because in my opinion music made a big comeback this year, so I started looking at a list of all the singles released or re-released in 2008 and I slowly but surely began to make a list of my favorites so here they are, in alphabetical order so you can tell I don't like one more than the other. Feel free to comment and know that there is more to come!


“4 Minutes” - Madonna featuring Justin Timberlake and Timbaland from the album Hard Candy- The song penned by Madge, J.T., and Timbaland had one of the most watched videos on Youtube of 2008, and became her 37th top ten single in the U.S., surpassing a record previously held by Elvis Presley. The song showed up just about everywhere this year-- in clubs, at the end of the movie Get Smart, and even in a Sunsilk shampoo commercial. Rolling Stone called the song a “loud, busy, energetic track, and I could not agree more. “4 Minutes” is nominated for Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals at the Grammy’s.

Fave Line from the Song: Madonna: “The road to hell is paved with good intentions, yeah.” Justin: “But if I die tonight, at least I can say I did what I wanted to do, tell me how bout you?”

Chart Positions:
U.S. Billboard Hot 100: 3
U.S. Billboard Pop 100: 2
U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play: 1
U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Airplay: 1

Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN7s1q3L-S0

“All Summer Long”- Kid Rock from the album Rock N Roll Jesus - Kid Rock’s slightly more modern take on Lynyrd Skinner’s “Sweet Home Alabama” was his highest charting hit on the Billboards. The song even became a crossover hit on the country charts, and earned Kid Rock critical acclaim and Grammy nominations for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance and Best Rock Album.

Fave Line from the Song: “It was 1989, my thoughts were short my hair was long/ Caught somewhere between a boy and man/ She was seventeen and she was far from in-between/It was summertime in Northern Michigan”

Chart Positions:
U.S. Billboard Hot 100: 19
U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs: 4

Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwIGZLjugKA

“American Boy”- Estelle featuring Kanye West from the album Shine- “American Boy” is the first international single for English hip hop singer Estelle; the song has been spoofed all over the world, something most artists consider an honor. John Legend (once upon a time signed by Kanye West) signed Estelle as the first artist to his record label, Homeschool Records; Legend says of Estelle, “she really can write, she writes hip lyrics with unforgettable melodies”. Legend first worked with Estelle in 2004 and never forgot about her talent, along the way she was a major hip hop artist in the UK winning Best Female Artist at the UK Hip Hop Awards three years in a row. “American Boy” which I view as a righteous anthem for the ladies was produced by Black Eye Peas’ Will.i.am, and was recently nominated for Song of the Year and Best Rap/Sung Collaboration at the Grammy’s. Let’s also not forget how awesome Kanye is in this song; he and Estelle are lyrically a great match!

Fave Line from the Song: “He said hey sister/ It's really really nice to meet ya./ I just met this 5 foot 7 guy who's just my type./ I like the way he's speaking his confidence is peaking./Don't like his baggy jeans but I'ma like what's underneath them./ And no I ain't been to MIA/I heard that Cali never rains and New York’s heart awaits./ First let's see the west end./I'll show you to my bridrens./ I'm liking this American Boy, American Boy”

Chart Positions:
U.S. Billboard Hot 100: 9
U.S. Billboard Pop 100: 6

Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjlOYHpi-A0

“Bleeding Love”- Leona Lewis from the album Spirit- Internationally, the best selling single of 2008 so far, “Bleeding Love” was a gem of a song written by OneRepublic’s Ryan Tedder and pop singer Jesse McCartney and sung by the incomparable Leona Lewis. Discovered by Simon Cowell on his British talent show “X Factor”, Lewis has been compared to Mariah Carey when she first arrived on the music scene in the 90s. Whoever you compare her to, Leona Lewis has real talent and is nominated for Record of the Year and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance at the Grammy’s.

Fave Line from the Song: “And it's draining all of me/ Oh they find it hard to believe/ I'll be wearing these scars/ For everyone to see”

Chart Positions:
U.S. Billboard Hot 100: 1
U.S. Billboard Pop 100: 1
U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play: 11
U.S. Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks: 1

Check out the videos (yes there is a U.K. version and a U.S. version):
U.K. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF84pIhP5UM
U.S. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-ctIC65PV0

“Chasing Pavements” - Adele from the album 19- Newcomer Adele says “Chasing Pavements” was written about a former boyfriend; following a fight she was out running on the street alone. She thought to herself, all you’re doing “is chasing an empty pavement”. An interesting fact about the song is that it has been banned by many U.S. radio stations because of what it means in the urban dictionary, it’s a slang term meaning, searching for prostitutes. Adele also did not believe she would be nominated for any Grammy’s but she was hoping the other U.K. songstresses (Leona Lewis, Estelle, and Duffy) who are all friends of hers would be nominated; and they were, but to her surprise, she was too. Adele received four nominations, Record of the Year, Song of the Year, Best Female Pop Vocal Performance, and Best New Artist.

Fave Line from the Song: “I’ve made up my mind, don’t need to think it’s over/ If I’m wrong, I am right, don’t need to look no further/ This ain’t lust, I know this is love”

Chart Positions:
U.S. Billboard Hot 100: 82
U.S. Billboard Hot Adult Top 40 Tracks: 17

Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz7vGW2_5c0

“Closer”- Neyo from the album Year of the Gentleman- “Closer” was the first single off Neyo’s third album; the song marks a departure of sorts for him because it has a dance vibe as compared to the urban vibe that most of his other singles possessed. The single had great success on the pop charts, urban charts, and dance charts. Many critics were skeptical of the Year of the Gentleman album but it went on to earn Neyo Grammy nods for Album of the Year, Best Male Pop Vocal Performance (for “Closer“), Best Male R&B Vocal Performance (for “Miss Independent”) , Best R&B Song (for “Miss Independent”) , Best Contemporary R&B Album, and Best Remixed Recording Non Classical (for “Closer”).

Fave Line from the Song: “Turn the lights off in this place/ And she shines just like a star/ And I swear I know her face/ I just don't know who you are/ Turn the music up in here/ I still hear her loud and clear/ Like she's right there in my ear/ Telling me that she wants to/ Own me/ To control me”

Chart Positions:
U.S. Billboard Hot 100: 7
U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/ Hip-Hop Songs: 21
U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play: 1
U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Airplay: 1
U.S. Billboard Pop 100: 3

Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUTh3OJjWjM

“Disturbia”- Rihanna from the album Good Girl Gone Bad Reloaded- One could say that “Disturbia” is a gift from Chris Brown to his girlfriend Rihanna; Brown and his team originally penned the song for the re-release of his album Exclusive, but Brown felt the song was better suited for a female singer, and the rest is history. Brown called Rihanna and the song was hers for the taking. It was originally going to go on her next album but it was decided that it was better suited as a summer single, and it was. “Disturbia” is nominated for Best Dance Recording at the Grammy’s.

Fave Line from the Song: “Throw on your break lights/ We’re in the city of wonder/ Ain’t gonna play nice/ Watch out, you might just go under/ Better think twice/ Your train of thought will be altered/ So if you must falter be wise/ Your mind is in disturbia”

Chart Positions:
U.S. Billboard Hot 100: 1
U.S. Billboard Pop 100: 1
U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play: 1
U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Airplay: 1

Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6zdhHLvT7k

“Goodnight, Goodnight”- Maroon 5 from the album It Won’t Be Soon Before Long- The first time I heard “Goodnight Goodnight” I was watching the CW and I saw a promo for Gossip Girl over the summer right before fall TV season started. Lead singer Adam Levine has that distinct voice, so when I heard the voice, I knew it was another hit by Maroon 5. Although the song is not as popular as previous singles “Wake Up Call“, “I Won’t Go Home Without You”, and “If I Never See Your Face Again”, “Goodnight Goodnight” impresses me lyrically and musically and I remain shocked that it has not faired better on the charts.

Fave Line from the Song: “You left me hanging from a thread we once swung from together/ I’ve lick my wounds but I can’t ever see them getting better/ Something’s gotta changeThings cannot stay the same/ Her hair was pressed against her face, her eyes were red with anger/ Enraged by things unsaid and empty beds and bad behavior/ Something’s gotta change/ It must be rearranged, oh”

Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRFnlEJzf0s&feature=related

“Gravity”- John Mayer from the album Continuum- Called the song he, “was always trying to write”, although the song was released on 2007, it did not enjoy much radio play until 2008. Here’s a fun fact, “Gravity” was used as the astronauts wake up call on the space shuttle “Endeavour”. Also, may I just say that Mayer’s guitar playing on this song is sensational.

Fave Line from the Song: “Oh, I’ll never know what makes this man/ With all the love that his heart can stand/ Dream of ways to throw it all away.”

Check out the video: There’s no official video for “Gravity”, so I decided on this performance from the Grammy’s 2007--- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhJKSseiPXE

“Hometown Glory”- Adele from the album 19- The first time I heard the song “Hometown Glory” was when I was watching So You Think You Can Dance this past summer, Katee and Joshua danced a contemporary Mia Michael’s routine to this song, and it was amazing and I immediately felt a connection to the song. I think I actually may have cried, because “Hometown Glory” is this song that forces us to feel emotion. Adele released this as the first single from her debut album 19, but due to it’s growing popularity, she re-released it as the fourth single from the album. The song has not yet charted in the U.S. but give it time, and for all those who have not given the song a listen; I encourage it.

Fave Line from the Song: “I like it in the city/ when two worlds collide/ you get the people/ and the government/ everybody taking/ different sides/ shows that/ we ain’t gonna stand shit/ shows/ that we are united/ shows/ that we ain’t gonna take it”

Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXG0YMv5Fvk

“Hot N Cold”- Katy Perry from the album One of the Girls- Katy Perry is not a new artist by any means, in fact she was in the music business as early as 2001, as a Christian artist, but it was only in 2008 that Perry began to enjoy mainstream success. “I Kissed A Girl” launched her onto the charts but “Hot N Cold” certainly kept her there; a funky, fun song, it had to be edited for radio airplay because of its use of the word bitch (bitch has been replaced in one version with chick and in another version with the word girl). Perry’s funk has also earned her a Grammy nominations for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.

Fave Line from the Song: “Cause you’re hot n you’re cold/ you’re yes then you’re no”

Chart Positions:
U.S. Billboard Pop 100: 1
U.S. Billboard Mainstream Top 40: 1
U.S. Billboard Adult Top 40: 1

Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X75mry1LcFg

“I Stay in Love”- Mariah Carey from the album E=MC² - This year, I could not keep Mariah Carey off my list because her accomplishments are truly remarkable; she has already released a, “MTV Unplugged” album, a “Number 1’s” album, and in January 2009 she will release a “Ballads” album; she has had the most number one singles of any solo artist in the U.S. with 18. “I Stay in Love” was the fourth single off Carey’s eleventh studio album E=MC² ; Fox News called the song, “a killer ballad” making me wonder why isn’t it on her “Ballads” album. Carey performed the song on X Factor and Simon Cowell says he wouldn’t mind having her back on American Idol to inspire more contestants. The music video for the song is directed by her husband Nick Cannon and was filmed in the Las Vegas desert, and Cannon makes a cameo at the very end of the video. Mariah hasn’t looked or sounded better.

Fave Line from the Song: “See I can’t get over you now/ No matter what I do/ But baby, baby/ I stay in love with you”

Chart Positions:
U.S. Billboard Pop 100: 95
U.S. Billboard Rhythmic Top 40: 37
U.S. Billboard Hot Videoclips Tracks: 16
U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play: 45

Check Out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZKdgFVqAkA

“Just a Dream”- Carrie Underwood from the album Carnival Ride- Underwood’s fourth single from her sophomore album Carnival Ride, “Just A Dream” is true Nashville storytelling at its best. The song is one that is on par with Underwood’s strong vocal and performance abilities; the first time I heard the song I immediately understood why so many related to the story she told us with her voice. “Just A Dream” is the story of a woman who goes from young newlywed to widow after her husband dies serving in the war; the song is current yet timeless . Underwood’s performance at the CMA’s (Country Music Awards) of the song proved to everyone why she has won the award for Best Female Vocalist three consecutive times. She will also compete at the Grammy’s for Best Female Country Vocal Performance (for her single “Last Name”).

Fave Line from the Song: “Baby, why'd you leave me, why'd you have to go/ I was counting on forever, now I'll never know/ I can't even breathe/ It's like I'm, looking from a distance, standing in the background/ Everybody's saying, he's not coming home now,/ This can't be happening to me/ This is just a dream”

Chart Positions:
U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs: 1
U.S. Billboard Hot 100: 29
U.S. Billboard Hot Digital Songs: 30

Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8khHqMntkbQ

“Just Dance”- Lady Gaga from the album The Fame- Her real name is Stefani Germanotta and somehow when you read her story you know she was destined for fame. She grew up in an Italian American family and at the age of 17 gained early admission to NYU’s Clive Davis Program at the Tisch School of the Arts, she sang in clubs in the Lower East Side of New York City, she signed with DefJam Records in 2006 but was later dropped by them. It was in early 2007 that she signed a deal with Interscope Records and teamed up with Akon who took a really interest in helping her with her new album, and the rest as they say is history. “Just Dance” was written by Lady Gaga and she is nominated for Best Dance Recording at the Grammy’s.

Fave Line from the Song: “Wish I could shut my playboy mouth, oh oh, oh-oh/ How’d I turn my shirt inside out?, Inside outright/ Control your poison babe, roses have thorns they say”

Chart Position:
U.S. Billboard Hot 100: 3
U.S. Billboard Pop 100: 3U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play: 2
U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Airplay: 2

Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M65zI9LH-as&feature=channel_page
To be continued...........

No comments: