Friday, January 18, 2008

The Golden Globes or Lack Thereof

I missed the Red Carpet, the stars, the silly moments, the heartfelt ones. With no Golden Globe Awards Show, it was difficult for me to be interested. Typically, I am online writing away, making my predictions and hoping that they are better than the year before.

Truthfully though, if this year's award show was televised, I don't think I would have been very pleased. I did not feel that most of the people who won were the best in their category.

There were a couple of winners that were just plain shocking--- like Julie Christie for "Away From Her". The Globes robbed Angelina Jolie who was unrecognizable for her role as Mariane Pearl in "A Mighty Heart". I still expect her to come away with an Oscar nomination and possibly a win if the right people come to their senses at the right time. Keira Knightley was captivating in "Atonement", and certainly was the odds on favorite in the category.

John Hamm was a surprise for "Mad Men", never in a million years did I expect that. I thought Hugh Laurie would walk away with the Award again, no questions asked, he is brilliant in "House" as the odd doctor that everything thinks is grouchy. "Mad Men" also shocked by winning for best Drama Series beating out "Grey's Anatomy" which was hoping for a repeat and had a good chance of making it happen.

Samantha Morton winning was "Longford" was the last person in her category that I thought would win. I was hoping for Rachel Griffiths who is great in "Brothers & Sisters", or Jaime Pressly who makes me laugh in "My Name is Earl", or Katherine Heigl who between "Grey's Anatomy", "Knocked Up", and "27 Dresses" has been the year's "It Girl".

There were, though, a few shining moments, like Johnny Depp winning for "Sweeney Todd", seven times must have been a charm because this was his seventh nomination. He had previously been nominated for "Edward Scissorhands" (1990), "Benny & Joon" (1993), "Ed Wood" (1994), "Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl" (2004), "Finding Neverland" (2005), "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" (2006), and finally "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Brother of Fleet Street" (2007).

Tina Fey won for "30 Rock" and she deserved it. Let's face it, the woman wears all hats, she writes "30 Rock", created it, acts on it, and even recruited "Saturday Night Live" alums like Tracey Morgan and Rachel Dratch for the show.

Jeremy Piven won again for "Entourage" for his role as Arie Gold, and truthfully I am a big fan of Piven's but no one in the category was more on point this year in their role.

"Atonement" won for best picture, so not only was it the most romantic and touching movie of the year but it was also considered the best. Look for "Atonement" to clean up at the British Film Critic Awards and to also make a big push during Oscar time. Rewarding "Atonement" with this award was basically awarding the cast--- Keira Knightley, James McAvoy, Saoirse Ronan.

I also enjoyed David Duchovny winning for "Californication" he is absolutely hilarious in his role as Hank Moody. He is a struggling writer who is trying to pull his life together. He is trying to raise his pre teen daughter, and he is still in love with his ex girlfriend who happens to be engaged to another man.

I hope that next year we have an award show, and I hope that the Hollywood Foreign Press thinks long and hard before nominating some of the people they nominated, but I am not against everyone that won. Hmmm............ I am not sure what that makes me, happy, sad, or bittersweet.

No comments: