Monday, October 14, 2024

The Voice: Season 26 .... to watch or not to watch?

Premiere, Night One: 


I was debating whether I wanted to watch The Voice this season. I was not particularly enthused with the mix of coaches this season. I like Gwen but she's never been a great coach. I love Reba. I was not sure what to think about Michael Buble, but I am really impressed with him.  I thought Snoop was going to be corny as hell and I am still not 100% sure who the real Snoop is, but I like this person on The Voice. 

This season, there’s a new cool feature and it’s called the coaches replay. It allows a coach to hit the button after the contestant’s performance is over, it’s kind of like a do over if the coach messed up and didn’t turn. 

There are some great singers this season! Kicking it all off was Jake Tankersley singing Something in the Orange by Zach Bryan-- This ended up being a four chair turn. Jake has a great voice, he had a Chris Stapleton sound to me. I loved the gravel in his voice. Gwen used her block on Reba but it didn't matter because Jake was all about the Snoop D-O double G. 



Sofronio Vasquez came out singing I'm Going Down by Mary J. Blige-- I loved how he made this song his own. I didn't hear a shred of Mary J. and I loved that. This was another four chair turn and this time Michael came out on top. I think what sold it was Michael's connection to his fans in the Phillippines as that's where Sofronio is from.  



Jan Dan sang Almost Doesn't Count by Brandy-- I have to be honest, this seemed very ordinary to me, nothing really stood out here. Michael and Gwen turned and Jan picked Team Gwen. 

Danny Joseph sang I Put a Spell on You by Screamin Joe Hawkins-- This guy is so good! I love how he went so long and is still undiscovered. This was another well deserved four chair turn and Snoop blocked Michael. Danny is from London living in Austin, Texas. He has so much soul, character, and control in his voice. Danny chose Reba! 



Torre Blake sang On & On by Erykah Badu— I loved Torre, she was soulful and a little different than the norm, there’s something about her vibe that is really cool. Her dad played in the NFL. Gwen and Snoop ended up turning and Torre picked Snoop. 



Kendall Eugene sang Don’t Think Jesus by Morgan Wallen— This was one of my favorite performances and to think he almost didn’t make it! Reba used her replay on Kendall. I don’t understand why no one turned to begin with. I thought he was great and I loved that he sang a faith based song. 



Not particularly notable… Kiara Vega sang Amor Eterno and went to Team Buble and Chrisdeo sang I Won’t Give Up by Jason Mraz and she picked Team Snoop. 

Last of night one, Sydney Sterlace sang Drivers License by Olivia Rodrigo— hard to believe Sydney is only 15! She was so emotionally connected to the song. This was a rightful and well deserved four chair turn. Sydney chose Team Gwen. 



Blinds Part Two:

Dreion sang Shining Star by Earth, Wind, and Fire-- All four coaches ultimately turned. What I loved about Dreion is that he has an amazing voice with great dynamics. He also has this cool stage presence. You don't always have artists who have the voice and that energy on stage. I think Dreion would have been great with Michael but he ultimately chose Snoop. 



Mor Ilderton sang Coal by Dylan Gossett-- I absolutely loved this performance. I think he is going to do well on the show. I am shocked that he has never performed before. Michael turned first and blocked Reba. He did the right thing because he has a very country and folksy sound. Michael loved his distinct voice. Reba said his voice was sexy. And Snoop said country and gangsta go together. Mor chose Michael. 



Felsmere sang Some Kind of Wonderful by Grand Funk Railroad-- Felsmere is all the way from Season one. I loved her take on this song, it was very bluesy and sultry. Michael and Gwen turned. Gwen said she would help Felsmere figure out who she is. Felsmere chose Gwen. 



Kamila Kiehne sang Black Velvet-- I was not as crazy about this performance as a few of the coaches were-- Reba, Michael, and Snoop turned pretty quickly. I did think her voice was shaky in certain points. The Canadian connection did it, Kamila chose Team Buble. 

Tanner Frick sang Thought You Should Know by Morgan Wallen-- This was a fave performance of mine. I loved Tanner's honesty. This ultimately became a well deserved four chair turn. Snoop turned first and said Tanner's uniqueness really came through. Reba said his growl is reminiscent of Chris Stapleton. Tanner chose Team Reba. 



Rowdy Shea sang You Shouldn't Kiss Me Like This by Toby Keith-- This was an interesting one, country singer Gwen and Michael turned but no Reba. She has an ear for talent. Rowdy chose Gwen. 

323 (a trio) sang You Drive Me Crazy by Britney Spears-- I always appreciate a group. They are good, not great, but good. I would love to see what one of the coaches can do with them. Michael and Reba turned, and they chose Team Reba. 



Gail Bliss sang If It Hadn't Been for Love-- Gail played Patsy Kline in a show for 30 years. She's 61 and the oldest in the competition. She is good! No one turned. Snoop decided that he was going to use his replay on her and rightfully so. He said the spirit of his mom inspired him. 



Austyns Stancil sang Oh Baby Baby by Smokey Robinson-- Austyns has an amazing voice. Michael mentioned this and I agree. I love how he went from his falsetto into his mid range. It was beautiful. He's naturally gifted as a vocalist and that's actually quite rare. Well deserved four chair turn. Austyns picks Team Gwen. 



So I want to do something this year called a Voice Fantasy Team! I want to pick all my faves and put them on a Fantasy Team and I am going to make similar cuts the way they do on the show. Only my faves! I am going to pick 25 out of everyone who gets through. 


Fantasy Team 

1 Jake Tankersley

2. Danny Joseph

3. Kendall Eugene

4. Sydney Sterlace

5. Mor Ilderton

6. Felsmere

7. Tanner Frick

8. Austyns Stancil 






No comments: